Fake IPS officer nabbed from mall in WB
Kolkata: A man was arrested from a shopping mall here on Sunday night for allegedly impersonating as a senior IPS officer and taking items from shops without paying for them.
Debraj Majumder, who had been pretending to be the Deputy Commissioner (Special Branch), Delhi Police, was apprehended from a shop in a mall off E M Bypass, Kolkata Police sources said.
Majumder, who had been using a North Indian name, had allegedly duped many shops, particularly in the malls of the city, in past several months by taking products without paying for them, they said.
The Delhi Police had tipped their Kolkata counterparts on receiving complaints that "one of its officers" was taking away products without payment, the sources said.
Majumder hails from Agartala in Tripura.
This is the second case of cheating by impersonation cracked today.
A former call centre employee Vikash Beri was netted for enjoying hospitality of different luxury hotels in the city by posing as an executive of leading firms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US