Fake IPS officer nabbed from mall in WB
Kolkata: A man was arrested from a shopping mall here on Sunday night for allegedly impersonating as a senior IPS officer and taking items from shops without paying for them.
Debraj Majumder, who had been pretending to be the Deputy Commissioner (Special Branch), Delhi Police, was apprehended from a shop in a mall off E M Bypass, Kolkata Police sources said.
Majumder, who had been using a North Indian name, had allegedly duped many shops, particularly in the malls of the city, in past several months by taking products without paying for them, they said.
The Delhi Police had tipped their Kolkata counterparts on receiving complaints that "one of its officers" was taking away products without payment, the sources said.
Majumder hails from Agartala in Tripura.
This is the second case of cheating by impersonation cracked today.
A former call centre employee Vikash Beri was netted for enjoying hospitality of different luxury hotels in the city by posing as an executive of leading firms.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India