Fake IPS officer nabbed from mall in WB
Kolkata: A man was arrested from a shopping mall here on Sunday night for allegedly impersonating as a senior IPS officer and taking items from shops without paying for them.
Debraj Majumder, who had been pretending to be the Deputy Commissioner (Special Branch), Delhi Police, was apprehended from a shop in a mall off E M Bypass, Kolkata Police sources said.
Majumder, who had been using a North Indian name, had allegedly duped many shops, particularly in the malls of the city, in past several months by taking products without paying for them, they said.
The Delhi Police had tipped their Kolkata counterparts on receiving complaints that "one of its officers" was taking away products without payment, the sources said.
Majumder hails from Agartala in Tripura.
This is the second case of cheating by impersonation cracked today.
A former call centre employee Vikash Beri was netted for enjoying hospitality of different luxury hotels in the city by posing as an executive of leading firms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble