Fake Tagore paintings: College principal suspended, FIR filed
Kolkata: Over a year after an exhibition of "fake" paintings of Rabindranath Tagore were organised by the Government College of Art and Craft here, an FIR has been filed in this regard case and its principal suspended.
A group of art college students and painters have lodged an FIR with the police seeking action against those who had made and exhibited the counterfeit Tagore paintings.
The college`s principal Dipali Bhattacharya, who is retiring this month, and eminent artist Jogen Chowdhury and Dhanbad-based businessman Jayanta Banerjee, both of whom had contributed to the exhibition from their personal collection, have been named in the FIR.
"A case has been registered at the New Market police station. As the investigation proceeds, they may or may not be arrested," Kolkata Police Joint Commissioner (crime) Pallab Kanti Ghosh told a news agnecy.
In the meantime, the higher education department has initiated disciplinary proceedings against Dipali Bhattacharyya for her alleged role in exhibiting the fake Tagore painting, officials said.
The controversial painting exhibition was organised at the college from February 27 to March 8, 2011 to commemorate the bard`s 150th birth anniversary.
Jogen Chowdhury, who had supplied one painting to the exhibition, said he is being falsely implicated in the case.
"Someone has mischievously brought me into this controversy. I have nothing to do with it," he said.
A case has already being going on at the Calcutta High Court, which had asked the Archaeological Survey of India to verify the authenticity of the paintings.
Last November, the ASI had submitted a report saying that 20 of the 23 paintings were fake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India