Farmer commits suicide
Burdwan: Distressed after poor sales of his paddy and resultant inability to repay loans, a farmer in Burdwan district committed suicide, officials said on Tuesday.
45-year-old Dalim Pal was taken to the Burdwan Medical College Hospital where he died last night after drinking pesticide, police said.
Pal`s wife and relatives said he had grown paddy and vegetables last season but the quality of products was poor and 150 bags of rice remain unsold.
Under severe depression for the last few months over his inability to clear dues of Rs 50,000 from a local moneylender he committed suicide, his wife Suchona Pal said.
District SP SMH Mirza, however, claimed the death was due to a family dispute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand