Farmer commits suicide
Burdwan: Distressed after poor sales of his paddy and resultant inability to repay loans, a farmer in Burdwan district committed suicide, officials said on Tuesday.
45-year-old Dalim Pal was taken to the Burdwan Medical College Hospital where he died last night after drinking pesticide, police said.
Pal`s wife and relatives said he had grown paddy and vegetables last season but the quality of products was poor and 150 bags of rice remain unsold.
Under severe depression for the last few months over his inability to clear dues of Rs 50,000 from a local moneylender he committed suicide, his wife Suchona Pal said.
District SP SMH Mirza, however, claimed the death was due to a family dispute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!