Farmer commits suicide
Burdwan: Distressed after poor sales of his paddy and resultant inability to repay loans, a farmer in Burdwan district committed suicide, officials said on Tuesday.
45-year-old Dalim Pal was taken to the Burdwan Medical College Hospital where he died last night after drinking pesticide, police said.
Pal`s wife and relatives said he had grown paddy and vegetables last season but the quality of products was poor and 150 bags of rice remain unsold.
Under severe depression for the last few months over his inability to clear dues of Rs 50,000 from a local moneylender he committed suicide, his wife Suchona Pal said.
District SP SMH Mirza, however, claimed the death was due to a family dispute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened