Farmer suicides on the rise in WB: CPI(M)
Kolkata: Alleging that incidents of farmers
committing suicide in West Bengal are on the rise, the CPI(M)
Thursday demanded that "proper compensation" be given to their
"Altogether 32 farmers committed suicide in the state.
The situation is grave, peasants can`t sell paddy. They are
not getting work. The incidents of farmers committing suicide
in the state are on the rise," CPI(M) central committee member
Shymal Chakrabarty said.
Briefing the media on the second day of the 23rd state
conference of the party, he demanded that families of farmers
who committed suicide be given "proper compensation".
When pointed that Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had
denied reports of a rise in farmers` suicide in the state, he
said, "We challenge the government. She is not telling the
Banerjee had earlier denied the reports and accused the
CPI(M) of spreading canards against her government.
The CPI(M) leader also said that arrangements should be
made to purchase paddy directly from farmers in cash, as was
done during the previous Left Front rule, and crop insurance
be introduced, among other measures to help them.
Alleging that CPI(M) leaders and workers had become
victims of terror across the state, he said, "63 CPI(M)
members have been killed and there have been various instances
of party leaders and workers being implicated in false cases.
This is being done to suppress our party."
To a question, the CPI(M) leader reiterated that the
policy of industrialisation of the state adopted by the
previous Left Front government was correct, but admitted that
in some cases, like Singur, land acquisition was made in haste
without proper discussion with farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India