Farmers` suicide in WB unfortunate: Guv
Kolkata: Incidences of farmers` suicide in
the state was unfortunate and a way has to be found to prevent
their recurrence, West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan said
"Farmers` suicide is an issue engaging the attention of
both the Centre and the state government. Such incidents are
unfortunately taking place ... We have to find a way to ensure
that this does not happen," he told reporters on the sidelines
of an event to mark the 116th birth anniversary of Netaji
Subhas Chandra Bose.
"Many of them I suppose were deeply in debt. You have to
ask Jairam Ramesh what can be done about this because he is
in-charge of rural programmes," he said.
On crib deaths in the state`s government hospitals, he
said there was no "belittling" of the issue. "I know the state
government is deeply concerned and the chief minister is
personally looking into it".
"We need to improve the facilities and that is something
which cannot be changed overnight ... I am not trying to put
the blame on A or B or C. But clearly we need to better our
facilities and efforts are being made. The quicker the results
the better," the Governor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Volkswagen to pay $10 billion in US over emissions scandal: Source
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid
- Focus on defence, security as PM Modi meets Uzbek President
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great
- Accident blocks Delhi-Howrah rail route, two dozen trains diverted