Fate of 63 WB constituencies to be decided Tuesday
Kolkata: A total of 63 constituencies,
including Singur and Nandigram, will go to the polls tomorrow
in the fourth phase of Assembly elections in West Bengal
amidst tight security.
The significant phase will not only decide which party
will form the government, but will also determine if the
CPI(M)-led Left retains its strongholds or the TC-Congress
alliance makes gains.
Polling will be held in 63 Assembly constituencies spread
over four districts -- Hooghly, Howrah, East Midnapore and
parts of Burdwan.
Trinamool Congress had made major gains in the 2009 Lok
Sabha elections in the four districts capturing six of the
The seats include Singur in Hooghly and Nandigram in
East Midnapore which have changed the political scene in the
state after the anti-land acquisition movement by the Mamata
Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress.
Over 1.26 crore voters will decide the fate of 366
candidates including Industry minister Nirupam Sen and Higher
Education minister Sudarshan Roy Chowdhury and five other
Altogether 20,000 EVMs will be used in 15,711 polling
stations, state chief electoral officer Sunil Kumar Gupta
Tight security arrangements have been made with the
deployment of a huge contingent of security forces including
Central forces in the districts going to the polls tomorrow,
Other ministers in the fray include Food Processing
minister Mohanta Chatterjee, Minister of State for Information
and Culture Soumendranath Bera, Technical Education minister
Chakradhar Maikap, Agriculture minister Naren Dey and Fire
Services minister Pratim Chatterjee.
Three former IPS officers Rachpal Singh, Haider Aziz
Sawfi and Sultan Singh have been fielded by the Trinamool
Congress candidates in this phase.
Of the six phases of the elections, three were held on
April 18, 23 and 27.
The fifth phase will take place on May 7 and the sixth
and last on May 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre