Father of gang-rape victim wants CBI inquiry
Kolkata: The father of the 16-year-old gangrape victim, who died of burns after she was allegedly set ablaze, on Monday filed a petition before the Calcutta High Court seeking a CBI investigation into the incident.
Claiming that the state police has been lackadaisical in investigating the case since October 26 when the hapless girl was gangraped near her residence at Madhyamgram in North 24-Parganas district, her father Ramshankar Jha prayed for a CBI investigation.
The petitioner also claimed that with the police having failed to provide adequate security to the girl and her family after she was shifted to a different area for more security it is difficult to put faith on such force to hold a proper investigation, Jha`sounsel Rabiskhankar Chattopadhyay said.
The matter is likely to be taken up before the court of Justice Dipankar Dutta on January 9.
The victim, daughter of a taxi driver, was gangraped on October 26 last year and again when she was returning home after lodging a police complaint.
She died in hospital last week due to burn injuries after she was allegedly set ablaze by associates of the rape accused.
All the accused in connection with the gangrape and alleged murder have been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur