Father of gang-rape victim wants CBI inquiry
Kolkata: The father of the 16-year-old gangrape victim, who died of burns after she was allegedly set ablaze, on Monday filed a petition before the Calcutta High Court seeking a CBI investigation into the incident.
Claiming that the state police has been lackadaisical in investigating the case since October 26 when the hapless girl was gangraped near her residence at Madhyamgram in North 24-Parganas district, her father Ramshankar Jha prayed for a CBI investigation.
The petitioner also claimed that with the police having failed to provide adequate security to the girl and her family after she was shifted to a different area for more security it is difficult to put faith on such force to hold a proper investigation, Jha`sounsel Rabiskhankar Chattopadhyay said.
The matter is likely to be taken up before the court of Justice Dipankar Dutta on January 9.
The victim, daughter of a taxi driver, was gangraped on October 26 last year and again when she was returning home after lodging a police complaint.
She died in hospital last week due to burn injuries after she was allegedly set ablaze by associates of the rape accused.
All the accused in connection with the gangrape and alleged murder have been arrested.
- DNA: Development in India is non-existent when people are dying of thirst and hunger
- DNA: Millions of tonnes of grains in warehouses go to waste while people die of hunger
- DNA: Analysis of how issues of importance are given no leverage in Parliament
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease - PartII
- Delhi govt approves proposal to set up memorial on APJ Abdul Kalam at Dilli Haat
- IPL 2016: Andre Russell four-for guides Kolkata Knight Riders to 7-run win over Kings XI Punjab
- Heated debate takes place in Rajya Sabha on VVIP chopper deal: Top quotes
- 'Catastrophic wildfires' force thousands to flee in Canada
- Man killed by son-in-law