Fifty constituencies in 2nd phase of polls in WB
Kolkata: Fifty constituencies will go to
polls on Friday in the second phase of Assembly polls in three
districts of West Bengal in which over 93.33 lakh voters would
cast ballots to elect representatives from among 293
The three districts where election would be held are
Murshidabad having 22 seats, Birbhum--11 and Nadia--17. In all
11,531 polling stations have been set up.
Tight security arrangements have been made in all
three districts to ensure free, fair and peaceful election.
Police sources said about 4800 security personnel
including central para-military personnel have been deployed
in the three districts.
Defying the party`s warning, four rebel Congress
candidates backed by party MP Adhir Chowdhury are contesting
as independents in Murshidabad district and an equal number of
dissidents are in the fray in Nadia. All of them have been
suspended by the party.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi and union Finance
minister Pranab Mukherjee, an MP from Murshidabad and
Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee campaigned in the
districts urging voters not to vote for any rebel candidate
and utilise the opportunity to oust the Left Front government.
Prominent Left leaders who campaigned included
Chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee in Nadia besides CPIM
politburo member Biman Bose and Housing minister Gautam Deb.
BJP veteran L K Advani and party chief Nitin Gadkari
also took part in the campaigning.
The main poll plank of Trinamool Congress-Congress
combine is for ushering in `paribartan` (political change) in
the state ruled by CPIM-led Left Front for the last 34 years.
Chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee has ridiculed
the slogan for change.
Prominent candidates whose fate would be decided are
Union Finance minister Pranab Mukherjee`s son Abhijit
Mukherjee from Nalhati, Panchayat minister and CPI(M) leader
Anisur Rehman, former High Court judge Nure Alam Chowdhury
contesting on Trinamool Congress ticket from Murarai and
Rukbanur Rehman, brother of computer graphics teacher Rizwanur
Rehman from the Chapra constituency.
CPIM has fielded candidates in 31 seats followed by
TC in 29 and Congress in 21 seats. BJP has put up nominees in
all the 50 constituencies and Bahujan Samaj Party in 27 seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Amaal Mallik excited about his 'Baar Baar Dekho' track
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more