FIR against Congress` Bengal chief in murder case
Kolkata: A first information report (FIR) has been filed against West Bengal Congress president Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury in connection with the murder of a Trinamool Congress supporter in the state`s Murshidabad district, police said Thursday.
"The FIR was filed late Wednesday night in connection with the murder of Badal Sheikh. 28 people have been named including Chowdhury. So far we have arrested two people," said an officer of Jalangi police station before which the FIR was filed.
Blaming the Election Commission for the incident, Trinamool Congress national general secretary Mukul Roy Wednesday had demanded the arrest of Chowdhury for the murder.
"The supporters of Adhir Chowdhury, bolstered by EC`s decision to transfer the SP, have murdered the Trinamool worker," Roy had said after the incident.
Murshidabad SP Humayun Kabir was one of the seven officers removed from poll duty by the commission Monday.
Reacting to the development, Chowdhury blamed the Trinamool for trying to hinder Congress`s revival in the state.
"Congress is steadily gaining ground in Bengal and Trinamool is losing confidence, so by implicating me in a false case, Trinamool is trying to create problems in my nomination and hinder Congress`s growth," said Chowdhury adding that he was in Krishnanagar in Nadia district on the day of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers