Fire-ravaged AMRI Hospital wears haunted look
Kolkata: An almost deserted AMRI Hospital,
where more than 90 people have died in a devastating fire,
wore a haunted look on Sunday as only a few patients remained at
Even as the annexe building, where the fire occurred,
was sealed, there were only 18 patients at the unaffected main
building, hospital sources said.
"At present there are only 18 patients at the main
building, which has 182-bed capacity," the sources said.
While no new admission has been made since Friday`s
gruesome incident, most of the patients have been shifted to
other hospitals in the city.
The deathly silence inside the hospital was broken only
by the shrill ringing of bell by a fire tender.
Smoke was seen emanating from some parts of the debris
and water jet from a fire tender was used to douse that, fire
brigade officials said.
Hospital sources said that doctors and nurses were
attending to the patients in the ITU and wards which were
However, operations were not being carried out as the
old block did not have heart care or cathlab facilities.
Several people, however, gathered outside the hospital
and placed wreaths and lit candles to pay respect to the
hapless patients who died inhaling the poisonous smoke from
the fire in the basement of the centrally-airconditioned
seven-storied annexe building of the multi-speciality
A silent procession was taken out in the evening from in
front of the hospital to pay respect to the dead and to
protest the deaths of so many patients.
Actors from Tollywood and law school students took part
in the procession holding candles from AMRI Hospital to nearby
Ramakrishna Mission headquarters in front of which the candles
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!