First ear, then eye: The cost of joining strike in WB
Kolkata: A brick kiln worker was seriously injured and his eye severely damaged after he was attacked allegedly by Trinamool Congress supporters for participating in the trade union strike of Wednesday and Thursday.
The incident occurred in West Bengal`s South 24 Parganas district Thursday night.
"I did not report to work during the strike and later participated in a CPI-M rally. While returning, around 20-30 people attacked me, asking me why I participated in the strike," Gopal Majhi, the victim, said.
Majhi`s family Friday filed a complaint at the Kulpi police station.
"We have registered a complaint against some unknown persons for attacking Majhi. We are probing the incident and hope to apprehend the culprits soon," a police officer said.
"My father`s eye has been completely damaged and he has been severely beaten by Trinamool supporters. We hope the attackers are arrested soon," Majhi`s daughter said.
The incident comes a day after a panchayat worker`s ear was chopped off in Jalangi in Murshidabad district, allegedly by supporters of the ruling Trinamool Congress for not attending office for a day during the two-day nationwide strike.
That incident was condemned by the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party.
"The incident is deplorable to say the least. Day by day the law and order situation in state is deteriorating and the ruling party is responsible," state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya said.
"The incident is a reflection of the fascism of this government. It seems we are under a dictatorial regime," BJP national executive member Tathagata Roy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'