First ear, then eye: The cost of joining strike in WB
Kolkata: A brick kiln worker was seriously injured and his eye severely damaged after he was attacked allegedly by Trinamool Congress supporters for participating in the trade union strike of Wednesday and Thursday.
The incident occurred in West Bengal`s South 24 Parganas district Thursday night.
"I did not report to work during the strike and later participated in a CPI-M rally. While returning, around 20-30 people attacked me, asking me why I participated in the strike," Gopal Majhi, the victim, said.
Majhi`s family Friday filed a complaint at the Kulpi police station.
"We have registered a complaint against some unknown persons for attacking Majhi. We are probing the incident and hope to apprehend the culprits soon," a police officer said.
"My father`s eye has been completely damaged and he has been severely beaten by Trinamool supporters. We hope the attackers are arrested soon," Majhi`s daughter said.
The incident comes a day after a panchayat worker`s ear was chopped off in Jalangi in Murshidabad district, allegedly by supporters of the ruling Trinamool Congress for not attending office for a day during the two-day nationwide strike.
That incident was condemned by the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party.
"The incident is deplorable to say the least. Day by day the law and order situation in state is deteriorating and the ruling party is responsible," state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya said.
"The incident is a reflection of the fascism of this government. It seems we are under a dictatorial regime," BJP national executive member Tathagata Roy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday