Fitting tribute to CM if Tatas set up factory at Singur: Partha
Kolkata: It will be a "fitting tribute"
to Mamata Banerjee if Tatas decide to set up a factory on the
600-acre plot in Singur, a senior West Bengal minister on Tuesday
"It will be a fitting tribute to the 26-day fast
undertaken by Mamata Banerjee and also to the movement of the
farmers if the factory (of the Tatas) is set up on 600 acre,
while returning 400 acre to (unwilling) farmers," Industry
Minister Partha Chatterjee told reporters here referring to
the chief minsters` hunger-strike in Kolkata in 2006.
Asked about the time limit for the return of the land
at Singur which is on lease to the Tatas for annual rent till
date, Chatterjee said, "Whatever time is required will be
He said he would present documents on the Singur
project which he had received from the West Bengal Industrial
Development Corporation to Banerjee tomorrow when the next
Cabinet meeting is scheduled.
"I was given most of the papers which I will look into
and hand over to the chief minister who will say whatever is
required. I cannot share it with you now," he said.
Chatterjee, who also holds the commerce and
information technology portfolio visited the WBIDC office
during the day.
He said he had asked the officials to identify
"weaknesses in the organisation, since we want excellence in
the (industrial) field."
Banerjee had on Friday, immediately after assuming
office, said that government would return 400 of the 1000
acres of land acquired for the Nano project.
She had said Tatas were welcome to set up a project on
the remaining 600 acres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city