Five accused in Tamang murder case arrested
Darjeeling: Five persons, accused in the murder of former All-India Gorkha League president Madan Tamang, were arrested by the CBI from a hotel here.
The five suspects had escaped after the brutal murder of Tamang, a prominent Gorkha leader, on May 21, 2010 by an armed mob in broad daylight at Upper Clubside Stand in Darjeeling town while he was overseeing preparation for a public meeting.
Police sources said that they had taken shelter at a local hotel and the CBI sleuths picked them up from the place late last night.
They were kept overnight at a CBI lock-up in the town. They would be produced in the CJM`s court later today, the sources said.
AIGL president Bharti Tamang, wife of the slain leader, had recently appealed to the West Bengal government to hand over the case to CBI.
She had met Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in the state secretariat for the purpose.
In December, 2011 an accused named in the CID charge sheet, Dil Kumar Rai, was found murdered in the hill town, his face bearing deep wounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH