Five accused in Tamang murder case arrested
Darjeeling: Five persons, accused in the murder of former All-India Gorkha League president Madan Tamang, were arrested by the CBI from a hotel here.
The five suspects had escaped after the brutal murder of Tamang, a prominent Gorkha leader, on May 21, 2010 by an armed mob in broad daylight at Upper Clubside Stand in Darjeeling town while he was overseeing preparation for a public meeting.
Police sources said that they had taken shelter at a local hotel and the CBI sleuths picked them up from the place late last night.
They were kept overnight at a CBI lock-up in the town. They would be produced in the CJM`s court later today, the sources said.
AIGL president Bharti Tamang, wife of the slain leader, had recently appealed to the West Bengal government to hand over the case to CBI.
She had met Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in the state secretariat for the purpose.
In December, 2011 an accused named in the CID charge sheet, Dil Kumar Rai, was found murdered in the hill town, his face bearing deep wounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch