Five accused in Tamang murder case arrested
Darjeeling: Five persons, accused in the murder of former All-India Gorkha League president Madan Tamang, were arrested by the CBI from a hotel here.
The five suspects had escaped after the brutal murder of Tamang, a prominent Gorkha leader, on May 21, 2010 by an armed mob in broad daylight at Upper Clubside Stand in Darjeeling town while he was overseeing preparation for a public meeting.
Police sources said that they had taken shelter at a local hotel and the CBI sleuths picked them up from the place late last night.
They were kept overnight at a CBI lock-up in the town. They would be produced in the CJM`s court later today, the sources said.
AIGL president Bharti Tamang, wife of the slain leader, had recently appealed to the West Bengal government to hand over the case to CBI.
She had met Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in the state secretariat for the purpose.
In December, 2011 an accused named in the CID charge sheet, Dil Kumar Rai, was found murdered in the hill town, his face bearing deep wounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand