Five accused in Tamang murder case arrested
Darjeeling: Five persons, accused in the murder of former All-India Gorkha League president Madan Tamang, were arrested by the CBI from a hotel here.
The five suspects had escaped after the brutal murder of Tamang, a prominent Gorkha leader, on May 21, 2010 by an armed mob in broad daylight at Upper Clubside Stand in Darjeeling town while he was overseeing preparation for a public meeting.
Police sources said that they had taken shelter at a local hotel and the CBI sleuths picked them up from the place late last night.
They were kept overnight at a CBI lock-up in the town. They would be produced in the CJM`s court later today, the sources said.
AIGL president Bharti Tamang, wife of the slain leader, had recently appealed to the West Bengal government to hand over the case to CBI.
She had met Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in the state secretariat for the purpose.
In December, 2011 an accused named in the CID charge sheet, Dil Kumar Rai, was found murdered in the hill town, his face bearing deep wounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’