Five BESU students suspended for ragging
Howrah: Five students of Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU) were on Tuesday suspended from the university and hostel for one year for allegedly ragging a first year engineering student.
Another student was also suspended from the hostel for one year, BESU vice-chancellor Ajay Ray told a press conference here.
All the students were of the Mettalurgical Department.
The decision was taken after the recommendations of a committee headed by Prof Aditya Banerjee, set up to probe a charge of ragging, he said.
A first year student of the Metallurgical department was ragged by some second year students on August 22 last.
The senior students took the first year student to their hostel on the evening of August 22 and had ragged him, the VC said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet