Five former IPS officers to contest WB polls
Kolkata: A former IPS officer, who lodged
an FIR against Mamata Banerjee and was considered very close to the Left Front government during Jyoti Basu`s tenure, is among five former police officers contesting the West Bengal Assembly polls on Trinamool Congress tickets.
Former IPS officer Rachpal Singh is contesting from
Tarakeshwar against Minister for Fire Services Pratim
Chatterjee who has been fielded by LF ally Forward Bloc.
Singh, as the DIG (Presidency Range), had lodged an FIR against the Trinamool supremo when she was Youth Congress
President for violence at a rally at Barasat in North 24
Parganas in 1994.
"When I found that this woman (Banerjee) was fighting
a lone battle during the Singur agitation against a ruthless
government I decided to join the party," he said.
Asked what his priority would be if his party was
voted to power, Singh said, "I want to give the people a
government which functions judiciously, where people get priority and so that the party doesn`t interfere in one`s personal life."
Another former police officer fighting on a Trinamool
ticket is Sultan Singh.
The former additional director general of police (pollution control board), who is Trinamool candidate from Bally said, "I worked very closely with the Left Front government and I was very much liked by the then chief minister Jyoti Basu.
"But after working with the government I have
understood that it cannot function neutrally because it is
guided and dominated by the CPI(M)," the former IPS officer
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon