Five held for running cricket betting racket
Barasat: Five persons were arrested Thursday on the charges of running a cricket betting racket here in North 24 Parganas district.
The police said the five persons rented a guest house here from where they were allegedly running the betting racket. They were arrested when India was playing against Australia in a quarter-final encounter of the World Cup.
Besides five mobile phones, the police seized a booking register from them. According to the record, Rs 55,000 was Thursday`s entry, while there were other entries for previous days.
Police said the five suspects -- Kamal Jain, Vineet Agarwal, Rohit Sharma, Shrihari Sharma and Nikhil Jhunjhunwala -- could be associated with a bigger betting racket. They are being interrogated, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened