Five held for running cricket betting racket
Barasat: Five persons were arrested Thursday on the charges of running a cricket betting racket here in North 24 Parganas district.
The police said the five persons rented a guest house here from where they were allegedly running the betting racket. They were arrested when India was playing against Australia in a quarter-final encounter of the World Cup.
Besides five mobile phones, the police seized a booking register from them. According to the record, Rs 55,000 was Thursday`s entry, while there were other entries for previous days.
Police said the five suspects -- Kamal Jain, Vineet Agarwal, Rohit Sharma, Shrihari Sharma and Nikhil Jhunjhunwala -- could be associated with a bigger betting racket. They are being interrogated, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed