Five held for running cricket betting racket
Barasat: Five persons were arrested Thursday on the charges of running a cricket betting racket here in North 24 Parganas district.
The police said the five persons rented a guest house here from where they were allegedly running the betting racket. They were arrested when India was playing against Australia in a quarter-final encounter of the World Cup.
Besides five mobile phones, the police seized a booking register from them. According to the record, Rs 55,000 was Thursday`s entry, while there were other entries for previous days.
Police said the five suspects -- Kamal Jain, Vineet Agarwal, Rohit Sharma, Shrihari Sharma and Nikhil Jhunjhunwala -- could be associated with a bigger betting racket. They are being interrogated, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?