Five lakh take holy dip at Gangasagar
Sagar Islands (WB): Around 5 lakh pilgrims on Monday took a holy dip at Gangasagar, the confluence of Ganga with Bay of Bengal, on the occasion of Makar Sankranti.
Calcutta High Court Chief Justice Arun Mishra along with relatives and West Bengal Industries Minister Partho Chatterjee and his family also took a holy dip as the auspicious hour approached after offering puja at the Kapil Muni Temple.
Official sources said today`s turnout of over 5 lakh was the highest in the past two days.
Though over 250 people were reported to be missing in the past three days, many of them were reunited, the sources said, adding this is an usual occurence at Gangasagar due to the heavy congregation every year.
Around 50 persons were arrested for alleged involvement in petty cases.
Movement of devotees from Kakdwip to Gangasagar had stopped for about three hours last night after a barge hit a jetty at Lot No 8 ferry ghat damaging it. The damaged jetty had since been restored.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- LIVE: Pakistan's nuclear weapons may fall into hands of jihadists, fears Hillary Clinton
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’