Five lakh take holy dip at Gangasagar
Sagar Islands (WB): Around 5 lakh pilgrims on Monday took a holy dip at Gangasagar, the confluence of Ganga with Bay of Bengal, on the occasion of Makar Sankranti.
Calcutta High Court Chief Justice Arun Mishra along with relatives and West Bengal Industries Minister Partho Chatterjee and his family also took a holy dip as the auspicious hour approached after offering puja at the Kapil Muni Temple.
Official sources said today`s turnout of over 5 lakh was the highest in the past two days.
Though over 250 people were reported to be missing in the past three days, many of them were reunited, the sources said, adding this is an usual occurence at Gangasagar due to the heavy congregation every year.
Around 50 persons were arrested for alleged involvement in petty cases.
Movement of devotees from Kakdwip to Gangasagar had stopped for about three hours last night after a barge hit a jetty at Lot No 8 ferry ghat damaging it. The damaged jetty had since been restored.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview