Five Maoists held in Bengal
Kolkata: Five Maoists have been arrested in West Bengal`s West Midnapore district, police said on Thursday.
They included squad member Uttam Mandi who was wanted in several murder cases, Jhargram Superintendent of Police Praveen Tripathi told a news agency over telephone. He was arrested Wednesday night from Jhargram.
Maoist leader Dilip Mahato and his associates Lakshmi Kanta Soren and Babu Lal Mahato alias Jhapu were caught early Thursday in Bhulagera area.
Another Maoist, Ashoke Singh, was arrested from a hideout in Goghat area of Hooghly district.
Meanwhile, on the second day of a 48-hour shutdown called by Maoists against the arrest of five Maoists leaders, some response were noticed in the Maoist-affected districts, police said.
"The shutdown is being observed in the tribal-dominated area of West Midnapore. Most vehicles were off the roads. Shops were closed. Government offices and schools were open but attendance was poor," Tripathi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley