Flood in West Bengal claims nine lives
2014 polls Lakhs of people under 80 blocks of the five districts have been affected, with 71,000 houses either fully or partially damaged, they said.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who visited the affected areas, said in her Facebook post last night that people in those districts were in deep trouble following the sudden release of water from different reservoirs of Jharkhand.
"I have visited four districts in the past two days and have seen how the flow of water from DVC barrages, released without any consultation and prior information to the state government, had inundated large number of villages. Release of water from Galudhi barrage of Jharkhand government further added to our woes," Banerjee wrote on her Facebook wall.
"It was not due to rains. There was no continuous monitoring of those agencies who abruptly released water," she alleged.
Mamata directed the district administration to repair all damaged houses and roads, after the water receded.
The Army said one column has been sent to repair a collapsed bridge and breached embankments in West Midnapore district at the request of the state government.
Meanwhile, DVC denied the charge of the West Bengal government and said water was released with prior intimation to the West Bengal administration.
DVC Chairman RN Sen said that combined discharge of water from Maithan and Panchet dams today was only 30,000 cusec.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!