Flood like situation in Jalpaiguri
Jalpaiguri: A flood-like situation has arisen in some areas of Dooars region of Jalpaiguri district after two places in the embankments on Ghis river were breached by rising river water.
The mountains on the north of Jalpaiguri district are receiving incessant rain for the past couple of days. The rain water has swelled the rivers coming out of the Himalayan mountains, officials said.
Jalpaiguri town received 195 mm rain in the past two days, sources said.
The authorities have alerted the people living near the embankments of the rivers. A yellow alert has been declared as water level in Teesta river went up rapidly, officials said.
Meanwhile, the traffic movement on National Highway to Assam has become very slow for heavy rain and poor condition of the road. Several trucks overturned on the potholed road, leading to further traffic chaos, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?