Flood situation in Jalpaiguri worsens due to heavy rains
Jalpaiguri: Flood situation in parts of Jalpaiguri district on Thursday worsened due to intermittent heavy rains.
Khayerkata village is completely flooded due to overflowing of river waters, forcing marooned residents to take shelter in relief camps, officials said.
Heavy rains caused the rivers to breach their embankment in many places of the district.
As river water levels rose, embankments in some places were breached.
Officials said the district administration is taking steps to provide relief for those affected.
Water levels in Teesta, Reti and Dudhua rivers have touched the danger mark and flooded large tracts of land in Jalpaiguri, including Khayerkata village and Dhupguri - a tea garden area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video