Flood situation in Jalpaiguri worsens due to heavy rains
Jalpaiguri: Flood situation in parts of Jalpaiguri district on Thursday worsened due to intermittent heavy rains.
Khayerkata village is completely flooded due to overflowing of river waters, forcing marooned residents to take shelter in relief camps, officials said.
Heavy rains caused the rivers to breach their embankment in many places of the district.
As river water levels rose, embankments in some places were breached.
Officials said the district administration is taking steps to provide relief for those affected.
Water levels in Teesta, Reti and Dudhua rivers have touched the danger mark and flooded large tracts of land in Jalpaiguri, including Khayerkata village and Dhupguri - a tea garden area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Cycling: Yates attacks to win Vuelta sixth stage
- Rio Olympics fallout: Swimmer Ryan Lochte charged over false robbery claim
- Donald Trump`s anti-immigration stance spurs surge from Central America
- Israel rejects UN appeal to release Gaza employee
- Nicolas Sarkozy tells comeback rally he would ban burkini across France