Flood situation in Jalpaiguri worsens due to heavy rains
Jalpaiguri: Flood situation in parts of Jalpaiguri district on Thursday worsened due to intermittent heavy rains.
Khayerkata village is completely flooded due to overflowing of river waters, forcing marooned residents to take shelter in relief camps, officials said.
Heavy rains caused the rivers to breach their embankment in many places of the district.
As river water levels rose, embankments in some places were breached.
Officials said the district administration is taking steps to provide relief for those affected.
Water levels in Teesta, Reti and Dudhua rivers have touched the danger mark and flooded large tracts of land in Jalpaiguri, including Khayerkata village and Dhupguri - a tea garden area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick