Flood situation in Jalpaiguri worsens due to heavy rains
Jalpaiguri: Flood situation in parts of Jalpaiguri district on Thursday worsened due to intermittent heavy rains.
Khayerkata village is completely flooded due to overflowing of river waters, forcing marooned residents to take shelter in relief camps, officials said.
Heavy rains caused the rivers to breach their embankment in many places of the district.
As river water levels rose, embankments in some places were breached.
Officials said the district administration is taking steps to provide relief for those affected.
Water levels in Teesta, Reti and Dudhua rivers have touched the danger mark and flooded large tracts of land in Jalpaiguri, including Khayerkata village and Dhupguri - a tea garden area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan