Food security bill impractical: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: Describing the proposed food security bill as "impractical", West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday accused the Congress-led central government of trying to make political gains instead of securing food for the people.
"Though we support food security, the proposed bill is impractical and not a single rupee has been earmarked for it. I ask the Congress to ensure food for the people instead of politicising the issue," Banerjee told a Trinamool Congress rally in Bankura district.
"If they are so concerned (about food security), what were they doing all these years? Their effort to gain political mileage from this will not fructify because they will not return for another term," said the Trinamool Congress chief.
Campaigning for the upcoming panchayat (rural body) polls in the state, Banerjee ridiculed the Congress for naming centrals schemes and roads after their leaders. "Why should every road and scheme be named after Congress leaders? There is no dearth of great names in Bengal," she said.
Alleging a section of bank officials were harassing poor farmers seeking Kisan Credit Cards, Banerjee urged villagers to protest outside banks to force officials to perform their duties.
"Do not take the law in your hands, but if they (officials) harass you or do not do their duties, stage dharnas outside the banks compelling them to act," added Banerjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31