Forensic experts collect samples from Surya Sen market site
Kolkata: A day after the devastating fire engulfed the Surya Sen market here in Sealdah, forensic experts today visited the area and collected samples for investigation.
Fire Services minister Javed Khan told PTI that 19 persons were killed in the fire yesterday.
Khan had said yesterday that the fire claimed 20 lives.
Meanwhile, Kolkata Mayor Sovan Chatterjee said that the police and fire services department would suggest measures for fire-fighting arrangements in private markets.
Chatterjee told the Kolkata Municipal Corporation House that fire-fighting arrangements in all the 46 markets run by it would be modernised and monitored.
Leader of the Opposition in KMC house Rupa Bagchi demanded that an all-party meeting be called to discuss steps to prevent fires in markets in the metropolis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional