Forensic experts collect samples from Surya Sen market site
Kolkata: A day after the devastating fire engulfed the Surya Sen market here in Sealdah, forensic experts today visited the area and collected samples for investigation.
Fire Services minister Javed Khan told PTI that 19 persons were killed in the fire yesterday.
Khan had said yesterday that the fire claimed 20 lives.
Meanwhile, Kolkata Mayor Sovan Chatterjee said that the police and fire services department would suggest measures for fire-fighting arrangements in private markets.
Chatterjee told the Kolkata Municipal Corporation House that fire-fighting arrangements in all the 46 markets run by it would be modernised and monitored.
Leader of the Opposition in KMC house Rupa Bagchi demanded that an all-party meeting be called to discuss steps to prevent fires in markets in the metropolis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss