Forensic experts collect samples from Surya Sen market site
Kolkata: A day after the devastating fire engulfed the Surya Sen market here in Sealdah, forensic experts today visited the area and collected samples for investigation.
Fire Services minister Javed Khan told PTI that 19 persons were killed in the fire yesterday.
Khan had said yesterday that the fire claimed 20 lives.
Meanwhile, Kolkata Mayor Sovan Chatterjee said that the police and fire services department would suggest measures for fire-fighting arrangements in private markets.
Chatterjee told the Kolkata Municipal Corporation House that fire-fighting arrangements in all the 46 markets run by it would be modernised and monitored.
Leader of the Opposition in KMC house Rupa Bagchi demanded that an all-party meeting be called to discuss steps to prevent fires in markets in the metropolis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore