Former Bengal housing minister quizzed by CID
Kolkata: Amid loud protests by CPI-M supporters, former West Bengal housing minister Gautam Deb on Friday appeared before police for questioning in connection with alleged irregularities during his ministerial tenure.
The state police`s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) office was cordoned off since morning to keep at bay hundreds of Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) supporters who had assembled to protest the summoning of Deb.
The minister in the erstwhile Left Front regime was summoned by the CID June 7 after a first information report was lodged alleging that a housing project during his tenure caused Rs.20 crore loss to the state exchequer.
The FIR was lodged April 2 by West Bengal Housing Board secretary Ajay Dutta, implicating several people of irregularities concerning a project by the Bengal Greenfield Housing Development Corporation Ltd., a joint venture with the state.
"The chief minister (Mamata Banerjee) wanted to make me sit here (CID headquarters) for two hours. I came and had tea," Deb told journalists after his quizzing.
"It is not my responsibility to satisfy them," he replied to queries whether he could satisfy the CID.
Deb was accompanied by senior party leaders Mohammad Salim and Sujan Chakraborty.
Salim accused the Banerjee regime of using the state machinery to stifle the opposition and make political gains.
"She is trying to demonise everyone for her political interest," said Salim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks