Former CPI(M) leader, kin injured in Maoist firing in WB
Jhargram, WB: Suspected Maoists Tuesday shot at and injured two persons, one of them a former CPI(M) leader, at Jhargram in West Midnapore district where a bandh disrupted normal life for the second day.
Police said Debashis Banerjee (50), who had publicly disassociated himself from the CPI(M) by issuing posters sometimes back, was shot at by three youths as he was helping
relative and newspaper distributor Bablu Banerjee sort out morningers at Manikpara bazar.
Bablu, who tried to shield Debashis Banerjee, also received bullet injuries and the two were rushed to Midnapore Sadar Hospital where the ex-CPI(M) leader`s condition turned
critical, police said.
The attackers left in a motorcycle. A pall of gloom descended in Manikpara area as
Debashis Banerjee was a social activist associated with a home for underprivileged girls at Manikpara.
Normal life came to a standstill in Jhargram sub-division and other parts of Naxalite-dominated `jangalmahal` (forested parts) of the district in response to a two-day shutdown called by Maoist-backed People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCPA), today.
Reports said vehicular traffic was off the roads while shops, markets were closed. Attendance at government offices was very few in the sub-divisional area, the reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen