Forward Bloc critical of timing of Mahato`s arrest
Kolkata: Left Front partner Forward Bloc
on Saturday questioned the timing of the arrest of tribal leader
Chhatradhar Mahato, saying it could affect normalcy in the
state which is hard-pressed to maintain law and order during
Durga Puja festivities.
"I wonder whether his arrest at this time would help
normalise the situation. The state government should justify
the timing of the arrest at a time when there is a warning
from the Centre about a possible terrorist attack in the
state," party`s state general secretary Ashok Ghosh said.
Ghosh said that Mahato, who has been in open contact with
political leaders for sometime and was issuing statements
regularly, could have been arrested three months ago through
the same process as today.
"Every action has a reaction and the government should
justify the timing of the arrest of Mahato," he said.
He, however, parried questions on whether Mahato, who led
an agitation against alleged police atrocities since November,
last year in the Lalagarh area, was a Maoist and if his arrest
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31