Forward Bloc critical of timing of Mahato`s arrest
Kolkata: Left Front partner Forward Bloc
on Saturday questioned the timing of the arrest of tribal leader
Chhatradhar Mahato, saying it could affect normalcy in the
state which is hard-pressed to maintain law and order during
Durga Puja festivities.
"I wonder whether his arrest at this time would help
normalise the situation. The state government should justify
the timing of the arrest at a time when there is a warning
from the Centre about a possible terrorist attack in the
state," party`s state general secretary Ashok Ghosh said.
Ghosh said that Mahato, who has been in open contact with
political leaders for sometime and was issuing statements
regularly, could have been arrested three months ago through
the same process as today.
"Every action has a reaction and the government should
justify the timing of the arrest of Mahato," he said.
He, however, parried questions on whether Mahato, who led
an agitation against alleged police atrocities since November,
last year in the Lalagarh area, was a Maoist and if his arrest
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'