Forward Bloc leader shot dead in West Bengal
Kolkata: A Forward Bloc leader was killed and two other people were injured Monday when some miscreants fired at them in West Bengal`s Birbhum district, police said.
"The incident occurred at Kirnahar in Nanoor block. Forward Bloc leader Paltu Sheikh and Mukbul Hussein were travelling in a bus, when some miscreants in the same bus shot at him from point blank range. Paltu died on the spot and Hussein sustained serious injuries," said a senior officer of Kirnahar police station.
One of the bullets went through the window and pierced the abdomen of Tapan Mondal, who was standing on the road, said the officer.
"Eyewitness said there were three miscreants and they disembarked the bus soon after the crime. A search has been conducted in the area," said the officer.
Birbhum Police Superintendent Nisat Parvez said: "No one has been arrested so far."
Forward Bloc district secretary Dipak Chatterjee said, "Paltu was declared brought dead in a local health centre while Hussein was rushed to Bolpur sub-divisional hospital."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional