Forward Bloc leader supports Katju`s comment on Mamata
Dhanbad: Forward Bloc general secretary Debabrato Biswas today said whatever Press Council of India chairman Markandey Katju had said about West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, was `correct` and reflected the general perception of the people only.
Talking to newsmen here, Biswas said that Banerjee had not been able to come out of her mindset of a street fighter.
"Her style of work is autocratic and she does not believe in collective leadership. She does not believe in democracy," he said.
For Banerjee, there exists only the Chief Minister in the government and none else matters, Biswas remarks.
Speaking at the end of a two-day meeting of the national council of the Akhil Hind Agragami Kishan Sabha, the leader said in politics one should have patience to tolerate criticism, but her reply to Justice Katju`s comment did not behove a chief minister.
"Due to the autocratic style of her functioning, the freedom of speech in Bengal is in peril," he said, accusing Banerjee of not only betraying `Maa, Mati, Manus`, but also having "kept the then Governor of West Bengal in the dark over Singur land issue".
He said the Left Front had been punished for wrong tackling of Nandigram and Singur, and felt the people of West Bengal would now teach Banerjee a lesson.
He said there was no wrong in establishing floor coordination with the BJP on national issues in Parliament.
On November 25, PCI Chairman Justice (Retd) Markandey Katju had criticised Mamata Banerjee for being "intolerant" to criticism.
"People have right to criticise and if one is intolerant to criticism then he or she has no right to be in politics," Katju had said at Press Club in Kolkata while speaking at a programme organised by Kalidas-Galib Foundation to remember writer Sunil Gangopadhyay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu