Forward Block to contest more seats in municipal polls
Kolkata: West Bengal`s ruling Left Front
partner Forward Block will contest more seats in the
forthcoming elections to 82 municipalities and municipal
corporations, party state secretary Ashok Ghosh said on Sunday.
"The number of seats in some municipalities has increased.
In keeping with this, we will demand more seats in some
districts. Some preliminary discussion about this has been
held at the district level with our allies CPI(M), CPI
and RSP," Ghosh said at a press conference after the party`s
two-day state committee meeting.
The party had contested 116 seats in 40 out of the 82
municipal bodies in the last elections, but Ghosh declined to
specify the number of additional seats it intended to contest,
saying it would have to be discussed in the Front.
Stating that his party wants the Front to be the first to
publish its list of candidates, Ghosh said he had asked his
party`s district leaders to prepare the contestants` lists at
He said several lakh partymen would participate in the
law-violation programme on April eight, responding to the call
by four major Left parties earlier this month for a
country-wide `jail bharo` programme against price rise and
attack on leftists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- PM Modi to chair NITI Aayog meet today, review 15-year vision plan
- Landslides close Jammu-Srinagar highway; Amarnath Yatra suspended
- Italian leaders vow to prevent terrorist attacks
- UN chief voices concern over Turkey situation
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic