Foundation stone of Jalpaiguri circuit bench laid
Jalpaiguri (WB): The foundation stone of Jalpaiguri circuit bench laid by West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee and Calcutta HC Chief Justice J N Patel Saturday.
A total 40 acres has been sanctioned for the proposed complex at Paharpur, about 1.5 km away.
Justice Patel speaking at the function said the laying of the foundation was the first step to reach speedy justice to the people of north Bengal.
The new complex will be completed in two years.
The chief minister said with the setting up of the circuit bench the people of the six districts of north Bengal, specially the poor, need no longer travel to Kolkata to get justice.
She also inaugurated a new permanent Khadya Bhawan building and the flood light of Kanchanjungha stadium from the same stage.
A number of judges of Calcutta High Court, Railways Minister Mukul Roy, state Law Minister Malay Ghatak, North Bengal Development Minister Goutam Deb, Alipurduar MLA D P Ray, Chief Secreatry Samar Ghosh and Home Secretary Basudev Bandopadhyay were present at the programme held at Jalpaiguri sports complex maidan.
Earlier, the judges visited the site of the proposed circuit bench.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended