Foundation stone of Jalpaiguri circuit bench laid
Jalpaiguri (WB): The foundation stone of Jalpaiguri circuit bench laid by West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee and Calcutta HC Chief Justice J N Patel Saturday.
A total 40 acres has been sanctioned for the proposed complex at Paharpur, about 1.5 km away.
Justice Patel speaking at the function said the laying of the foundation was the first step to reach speedy justice to the people of north Bengal.
The new complex will be completed in two years.
The chief minister said with the setting up of the circuit bench the people of the six districts of north Bengal, specially the poor, need no longer travel to Kolkata to get justice.
She also inaugurated a new permanent Khadya Bhawan building and the flood light of Kanchanjungha stadium from the same stage.
A number of judges of Calcutta High Court, Railways Minister Mukul Roy, state Law Minister Malay Ghatak, North Bengal Development Minister Goutam Deb, Alipurduar MLA D P Ray, Chief Secreatry Samar Ghosh and Home Secretary Basudev Bandopadhyay were present at the programme held at Jalpaiguri sports complex maidan.
Earlier, the judges visited the site of the proposed circuit bench.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'