Foundation stone of Jalpaiguri circuit bench laid
Jalpaiguri (WB): The foundation stone of Jalpaiguri circuit bench laid by West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee and Calcutta HC Chief Justice J N Patel Saturday.
A total 40 acres has been sanctioned for the proposed complex at Paharpur, about 1.5 km away.
Justice Patel speaking at the function said the laying of the foundation was the first step to reach speedy justice to the people of north Bengal.
The new complex will be completed in two years.
The chief minister said with the setting up of the circuit bench the people of the six districts of north Bengal, specially the poor, need no longer travel to Kolkata to get justice.
She also inaugurated a new permanent Khadya Bhawan building and the flood light of Kanchanjungha stadium from the same stage.
A number of judges of Calcutta High Court, Railways Minister Mukul Roy, state Law Minister Malay Ghatak, North Bengal Development Minister Goutam Deb, Alipurduar MLA D P Ray, Chief Secreatry Samar Ghosh and Home Secretary Basudev Bandopadhyay were present at the programme held at Jalpaiguri sports complex maidan.
Earlier, the judges visited the site of the proposed circuit bench.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands