Foundation stone of Jalpaiguri circuit bench laid
Jalpaiguri (WB): The foundation stone of Jalpaiguri circuit bench laid by West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee and Calcutta HC Chief Justice J N Patel Saturday.
A total 40 acres has been sanctioned for the proposed complex at Paharpur, about 1.5 km away.
Justice Patel speaking at the function said the laying of the foundation was the first step to reach speedy justice to the people of north Bengal.
The new complex will be completed in two years.
The chief minister said with the setting up of the circuit bench the people of the six districts of north Bengal, specially the poor, need no longer travel to Kolkata to get justice.
She also inaugurated a new permanent Khadya Bhawan building and the flood light of Kanchanjungha stadium from the same stage.
A number of judges of Calcutta High Court, Railways Minister Mukul Roy, state Law Minister Malay Ghatak, North Bengal Development Minister Goutam Deb, Alipurduar MLA D P Ray, Chief Secreatry Samar Ghosh and Home Secretary Basudev Bandopadhyay were present at the programme held at Jalpaiguri sports complex maidan.
Earlier, the judges visited the site of the proposed circuit bench.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad