Four children killed in fire in WB
Canning: Four children of a family were
burnt to death when 16 shanties of a slum in South 24 Parganas district were gutted in fire, police and fire brigade officials said Thursday.
The children, three siblings and their paternal aunt,
were sleeping in their shanty when the fire broke out in the
slum near Santoshpur Bazar in Maheshtala last night, they
Alauddin Shekh, father of the siblings, said he rushed
from his tea-stall to the slum after seeing the fire but could
not go near his hut as the blaze had already engulfed it.
Fire brigade personnel fought for over an hour to control
the blaze that reduced to ashes at least 16 shanties, they
said, adding two bodies were found last night, two others were
The deceased were identified as Suraj Shekh (2), Saleha
Khatun (8), Aleya Khatun (10) and Sahani Khatun (12). Sahani
was the aunt of the other children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH