Four more die in continuing panchayat poll violenc
Behrampore: Poll violence continued on Tuesday in trouble-torn Murshidabad and Birbhum districts, a day after panchayat election was held there, leaving four persons dead.
Two Congress workers and another CPI-M worker were killed in sporadic incidents of violence in Murshidabad district while the father of an Independent candidate succumbed to his injuries in Birbhum district.
The police said two Congress workers were killed this morning at Ranitala in the district.
Pairuddin Sheikh (33), a Congress worker, was shot dead this morning when he was leaving his residence at Lakshmi Narayanpur village in the Ranitala police station area.
Another Congress worker Azizul Sheikh (65) was hacked and critically injured when he was going to his farmland at Natungram under Ranitala police station. He died on way to hospital, the police said.
In another incident, a CPI-M cadre Phatik Sheikh died of splinter injury when another gang hurled bombs at him at Sankopara in the Farakka police station area.
Local Congress leader and Minister of State for Railways Adhir Chowdhury alleged that their workers had been killed with the help of Trinamool Congress, the CPI-M and police.
"They have joined hands to kill Congress workers. How can the CPI-M which has been decimated in the state kill our workers?" he wondered.
CPI-M leader Mriganka Bhattacharya blamed goons of the Congress for the killing of their cadre.
"So far, 11 CPI-M supporters and cadre have been killed by Congress goons in the district since the panchayat vote was declared," he said.
Sagar Ghosh (70), the father of an Independent candidate who was shot and seriously injured by unknown gunmen near Bolpur in nearby Birbhum district, died today.
Ghosh`s son Hriday Ghosh was an Independent candidate in Kasba Gram Panchayat.
Senior Ghosh was attacked at his home in Kasba yesterday and was rushed to Burdwan Medical College and Hospital where he died today.
Yesterday six persons had died in poll violence during the fourth phase of panchayat election. While four persons lost their lives in Birbhum district, one each was killed in Murshidabad and Malda district.
So far 20 persons have died in poll related violence.
The fifth and last phase of the rural poll is scheduled for July 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday