Four more die in continuing panchayat poll violenc
Behrampore: Poll violence continued on Tuesday in trouble-torn Murshidabad and Birbhum districts, a day after panchayat election was held there, leaving four persons dead.
Two Congress workers and another CPI-M worker were killed in sporadic incidents of violence in Murshidabad district while the father of an Independent candidate succumbed to his injuries in Birbhum district.
The police said two Congress workers were killed this morning at Ranitala in the district.
Pairuddin Sheikh (33), a Congress worker, was shot dead this morning when he was leaving his residence at Lakshmi Narayanpur village in the Ranitala police station area.
Another Congress worker Azizul Sheikh (65) was hacked and critically injured when he was going to his farmland at Natungram under Ranitala police station. He died on way to hospital, the police said.
In another incident, a CPI-M cadre Phatik Sheikh died of splinter injury when another gang hurled bombs at him at Sankopara in the Farakka police station area.
Local Congress leader and Minister of State for Railways Adhir Chowdhury alleged that their workers had been killed with the help of Trinamool Congress, the CPI-M and police.
"They have joined hands to kill Congress workers. How can the CPI-M which has been decimated in the state kill our workers?" he wondered.
CPI-M leader Mriganka Bhattacharya blamed goons of the Congress for the killing of their cadre.
"So far, 11 CPI-M supporters and cadre have been killed by Congress goons in the district since the panchayat vote was declared," he said.
Sagar Ghosh (70), the father of an Independent candidate who was shot and seriously injured by unknown gunmen near Bolpur in nearby Birbhum district, died today.
Ghosh`s son Hriday Ghosh was an Independent candidate in Kasba Gram Panchayat.
Senior Ghosh was attacked at his home in Kasba yesterday and was rushed to Burdwan Medical College and Hospital where he died today.
Yesterday six persons had died in poll violence during the fourth phase of panchayat election. While four persons lost their lives in Birbhum district, one each was killed in Murshidabad and Malda district.
So far 20 persons have died in poll related violence.
The fifth and last phase of the rural poll is scheduled for July 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened