Four PCPA members arrested from Lalgarh
Lalgarh: Four members of the Maoist-backed PCPA were arrested today from near the venue of Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee`s rally in the area, a hotbed of the Left wing extremists.
"One of the four Sushil Mahato was re-arrested after he fled from police custody, while three others were taken into custody for extortion and criminal activities," West
Midnapore Superintendent of Police Manoj Verma said.
He said that Mahato was re-arrested from Nischintapur village and three others from Gohmidanga village when the rally was underway. All the four members of People`s Committee against Police Atrocities (PCPA) were unarmed.
The SP said that the rally lasted nearly three hours and passed off peacefully.
"We will be keeping a close watch on the situation," the SP said.
The joint forces, meanwhile, were conducting an intensive combing operation in Gohmidanga forest since morning on an intelligence tipoff that PCPA Secretary Manoj
Mahato and his associates were hiding there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender