Four PCPA members arrested from Lalgarh
Lalgarh: Four members of the Maoist-backed PCPA were arrested today from near the venue of Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee`s rally in the area, a hotbed of the Left wing extremists.
"One of the four Sushil Mahato was re-arrested after he fled from police custody, while three others were taken into custody for extortion and criminal activities," West
Midnapore Superintendent of Police Manoj Verma said.
He said that Mahato was re-arrested from Nischintapur village and three others from Gohmidanga village when the rally was underway. All the four members of People`s Committee against Police Atrocities (PCPA) were unarmed.
The SP said that the rally lasted nearly three hours and passed off peacefully.
"We will be keeping a close watch on the situation," the SP said.
The joint forces, meanwhile, were conducting an intensive combing operation in Gohmidanga forest since morning on an intelligence tipoff that PCPA Secretary Manoj
Mahato and his associates were hiding there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured