Four PCPA members arrested from Lalgarh
Lalgarh: Four members of the Maoist-backed PCPA were arrested today from near the venue of Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee`s rally in the area, a hotbed of the Left wing extremists.
"One of the four Sushil Mahato was re-arrested after he fled from police custody, while three others were taken into custody for extortion and criminal activities," West
Midnapore Superintendent of Police Manoj Verma said.
He said that Mahato was re-arrested from Nischintapur village and three others from Gohmidanga village when the rally was underway. All the four members of People`s Committee against Police Atrocities (PCPA) were unarmed.
The SP said that the rally lasted nearly three hours and passed off peacefully.
"We will be keeping a close watch on the situation," the SP said.
The joint forces, meanwhile, were conducting an intensive combing operation in Gohmidanga forest since morning on an intelligence tipoff that PCPA Secretary Manoj
Mahato and his associates were hiding there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?