Framework for Disaster Management in Bengal weak: CAG
Kolkata: The institutional framework for disaster management in West Bengal is weak because of deficient functioning of the State Disaster Management Authority, the Comptroller and Auditor General has noted.
In a report laid in the Assembly for the year ended March 2013, the CAG noted that plans were often not prepared by departments as required.
Disaster-specific action plans were found lacking in many ways and vulnerability assessment of blocks was only partial, it said.
The report suggested that timely preparation of annual disaster management plans indicating specific work to be undertaken should be ensured at all levels.
"Proper mechanism to identify unutilised balances lying with districts should be devised. Moreover, it should be ensured that funds for immediate relief are utilised with adequate urgency for effective distribution of relief material among the affected people," it said.
On the state`s financial management on the issue, the CAG said the state government did not have an effective monitoring mechanism to identify unspent balances of the State Disaster Relief Fund lying in its accounts.
"Significant amount of funds meant for immediate relief were not utilised effectively owing to parking of funds, delay in release and diversion etc.," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31