Future of pensioners will crash with FDI: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: Intensifying her tirade against the Centre for allowing FDI in pension funds, Mamata Banerjee on Sunday said the future of pensioners in the country would be jeopardised the way it had been in the US.
"With introduction of FDI, the future of pensioners will crash. Let us be united and oppose this move," Banerjee wrote on Facebook.
The CM narrated the experience of an Indian working in a well-known IT company in California who was putting his savings into a pension fund to secure his future at old age.
"It is shocking that when the US stock market crashed during 2008-09, our Indian friend lost 50 per cent of his entire savings. He was left high and dry without compensation and with an uncertain future," Banerjee said.
"Do you want this to happen to you and fellow countrymen on introduction of FDI in pensions by UPA II?," she asked, saying this was not just a stray case, but one among millions of sufferers in USA where pension funds are invested in stock markets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations