Future of pensioners will crash with FDI: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: Intensifying her tirade against the Centre for allowing FDI in pension funds, Mamata Banerjee on Sunday said the future of pensioners in the country would be jeopardised the way it had been in the US.
"With introduction of FDI, the future of pensioners will crash. Let us be united and oppose this move," Banerjee wrote on Facebook.
The CM narrated the experience of an Indian working in a well-known IT company in California who was putting his savings into a pension fund to secure his future at old age.
"It is shocking that when the US stock market crashed during 2008-09, our Indian friend lost 50 per cent of his entire savings. He was left high and dry without compensation and with an uncertain future," Banerjee said.
"Do you want this to happen to you and fellow countrymen on introduction of FDI in pensions by UPA II?," she asked, saying this was not just a stray case, but one among millions of sufferers in USA where pension funds are invested in stock markets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city