Gherao of JU VC, pro-VC of Jadavpur University continues
Kolkata: The Vice-Chancellor, Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Registrar of Jadavpur University continued to be under gherao for the third day on Friday by a section of engineering faculty students demanding withdrawal of suspension order of two students on charges of ragging.
University authorities told a news agency that VC Souvik Bhattacharya and pro-VC Siddhartha Dutta were taken ill last night and were immediately attended to by doctors.
Doctors examined both of them and advised them rest, they said.
The police said university authorities have not sought their help to free them from gherao and the situation remained peaceful.
The officials remained under gherao in the main building "Aurobinda Bhavan".
The university authorities, however, have refused to give into the students` demand.
The Pro-VC had said earlier, "We told the students in clear terms that there was no scope of reconsidering their demands since it was a case of ragging which invited disciplinary action against the guilty students. We are sticking to the recommendation of the anti-ragging committee."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing