GJAC plans to ban timber, tea outgo from Darjeeling hills
Darjeeling: The newly-formed eight-party Gorkhaland Joint Action Committee in Darjeeling today decided to block outgo of timber and tea from the Hills and hold rallies between August 20 and August 23.
Gorkhaland Joint Action Committee (GJAC) chairman Enos Das Pradhan said after a meeting at Singmari that they would not allow timber and tea to go outside the Hills.
However, he did not set any date for commencement of the blockade.
In another significant decision, the GJAC decided to tweak their five-day "ghar bitrai janta" (people inside homes) agitation, to make it an one-day affair on August 19.
In the next four days, Pradhan said, people would hold rallies.
In a Facebook post, GJM president Bimal Gurung said, from August 20 to August 23, they would observe "Ghar Bhaira Janta" (people outside homes).
"We have decided to change the plan as we want the voices of Gorkhaland to be heard from August 20-23. So there will be rallies in all parts of the proposed Gorkhaland area from 20 to 23 August," Gurung said.
He, however, added, "There won`t be any picketing and forced close-down. The GJAC hopes people (will) voluntarily close down (shops and markets) and come to the rallies for Gorkhaland."
Pradhan said other agitation programmes like holding torch rallies on August 24 and 25 and forming human chains on August 26 would be in place as part of a long-drawn agitation over their demand of a separate state.
On August 27-28, Gorkhas from all over the country would send fax messages demanding Gorkhaland to the President, Prime Minister, Home Minister and other prominent figures, he said, adding that the next GJAC meeting would be held on August 29.
At the very first meeting of the GJAC on August 16 after it was formed, a crack had appeared when the All India Gorkha League staged a walk-out demanding that all GJM members of the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration resign first.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog