GJM announces support for TC-CONG alliance, but TC discounts
Jalpaiguri/Kolkata: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha has announced that it will support the Trinamool Congress-Congress alliance in Siliguri and Dooars in the coming Assembly polls, but the announcement was criticised by the Trinamool, who said the decision was "uncalled for".
GJM chief Bimal Gurung last night announced at a press conference in Darjeeling that it would support the candidates of the Trinamool-Congress alliance in the six constituencies
of Malbazar, Kumargram, Dhupguri, Phulbari-Dabgram, Naxalbari
However, the Trinamool Congress today said the GJM`s
unilateral decision had no backing from the party.
Trinamool Congress all-India general secretary Mukul Roy
and trusted confidant of Mamata Banerjee said, "The GJM`s decision is totally uncalled for as there were no prior talks between the two parties in this regard."
Roy went on to blame the development on a gameplan by the
BJP and CPI-M, saying GJM, which is fighting for a separate
state in the Darjeeling hills, was an ally of the BJP.
Moreover, Mamata had said categorically during her visit
to the Darjeeling hills last year in connection with a railway
programme that she was totally opposed to division of West
Bengal, Roy argued.
"So how does the question of understanding between the
two parties arise? It is nothing but an attempt at character assassination of our party," he asserted.
The GJM has fielded its own candidates in Darjeeling,
Kalchini, Kalimpong and Kurseong in the hills and will support
a candidate of the Progressive People`s Party at Nagrakata and
a BJP candidate at Madarihart in the plains.
The GJM decision has also unnerved the Left parties which
fear the GJM`s support to candidates of the Trinamool Congress
-Congress alliance will lead to division of votes in at least
12 seats putting hurdles in the way of Left candidates winning
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Lodha panel secretary accused BCCI selectors of taking sexual favours, reveals Ajay Shirke
- TMC govt cracks down on 'Narayani Sena', bans training camps in Cooch Behar district
- Brazil police say IOC's Patrick Hickey discussed illegal ticket sales
- TCS settles Orange County lawsuit for $26 mn; shares down
- Turkish military, US-led coalition launch major operation in northern Syria - officials