GJM calls 72-hour strike, to `recall` four MLAs
Darjeeling (WB): Hardening its stance on inclusion of additional areas in the new hill council in Darjeeling Gorkhaland Territorial Administration, the GJM on Sunday vowed to `resist` election to the new set-up and called for a 72-hour strike while announcing that its four MLAs would resign.
At the same time, the GJM decided to keep the door open for talks with the state government and appealed to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to grant it an early appointment for discussion.
"These decisions were taken at a meeting of the GJM central committee members, leaders of its women and youth wings as also those of the GJM`s Dooars and Terai Co-ordination Committee and presided over by GJM president Bimal Gurung," its general secretary Roshan Giri (rpt Roshan Giri) told a press conference after the meeting.
"The recommendation of the Justice (retd) Shamyal Sen is humiliating and insulting to us. We will not accept the election to GTA and we will resist it," Giri said while briefing the media after a marathon nearly five-hour-long meeting.
He said his party would also like to hold talks with the government on the issue and accordingly it would seek an early appointment with the chief minister to put across their views.
"If we get the appointment, a 21-member high-powered delegation, including the four MLAs and other central commmittee members of the party besides top leaders of our women and youth wings, would meet her," he said.
He said on June 12, GJM units, including those at the block and zonal levels, would write to the chief minister and the Darjeeling district magistrate communicating the GJM`s unhappiness over the recommendations of the Shyamal Sen committee.
Giri said on June 27 the chairman and councillors of the Darjeeling, Kurseong, Kalimpong and Mirik would resign from their posts over the issue.
"On July two, three and four we will call a strike in Darjeeling, Dooars and Terai", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS