GJM calls 72-hour strike, to `recall` four MLAs
Darjeeling (WB): Hardening its stance on inclusion of additional areas in the new hill council in Darjeeling Gorkhaland Territorial Administration, the GJM on Sunday vowed to `resist` election to the new set-up and called for a 72-hour strike while announcing that its four MLAs would resign.
At the same time, the GJM decided to keep the door open for talks with the state government and appealed to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to grant it an early appointment for discussion.
"These decisions were taken at a meeting of the GJM central committee members, leaders of its women and youth wings as also those of the GJM`s Dooars and Terai Co-ordination Committee and presided over by GJM president Bimal Gurung," its general secretary Roshan Giri (rpt Roshan Giri) told a press conference after the meeting.
"The recommendation of the Justice (retd) Shamyal Sen is humiliating and insulting to us. We will not accept the election to GTA and we will resist it," Giri said while briefing the media after a marathon nearly five-hour-long meeting.
He said his party would also like to hold talks with the government on the issue and accordingly it would seek an early appointment with the chief minister to put across their views.
"If we get the appointment, a 21-member high-powered delegation, including the four MLAs and other central commmittee members of the party besides top leaders of our women and youth wings, would meet her," he said.
He said on June 12, GJM units, including those at the block and zonal levels, would write to the chief minister and the Darjeeling district magistrate communicating the GJM`s unhappiness over the recommendations of the Shyamal Sen committee.
Giri said on June 27 the chairman and councillors of the Darjeeling, Kurseong, Kalimpong and Mirik would resign from their posts over the issue.
"On July two, three and four we will call a strike in Darjeeling, Dooars and Terai", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees