GJM calls indefinite strike in Darjeeling hills
Darjeeling: The GJM Sunday called for an indefinite strike in the Darjeeling Hills of northern West Bengal, demanding the removal of a police official and arrest of the rival GNLF activists for "attacking" its members.
"We have informed the government, including Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, and the police top brass that unless and until the officer is suspended and the GNLF miscreants are arrested, there will be an indefinite strike in the hills," said Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) general secretary Roshan Giri.
Activists from the GJM and the Gorkha National Liberation Front (GNLF) clashed eaerlier Sunday during a public rally in Mirik in the district. Police resorted to baton charge to control the melee. Two people were injured in the clash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof