GJM calls off agitation in Darjeeling hills
Darjeeling: The Gorkha Jana Mukti Morcha, spearheading the agitation for a separate Gorkhaland on Friday decided to call off the protest scheduled to begin tomorrow in the Darjeeling hills.
It was decided at the GJM`s central committee meeting at Kurseong during the day to call off the the agitation from tomorrow till April nine announced earlier, GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri said.
The agitation was to demand creation of Gorkhaland and protest alleged interference by the West Bengal government in the functioning of the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration.
Giri said that GJM called off the agitation accepting appeals made by the President, Union Home and Finance Minister to concentrate on development work for the people of the hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth