GJM calls off agitation in Darjeeling hills
Darjeeling: The Gorkha Jana Mukti Morcha, spearheading the agitation for a separate Gorkhaland on Friday decided to call off the protest scheduled to begin tomorrow in the Darjeeling hills.
It was decided at the GJM`s central committee meeting at Kurseong during the day to call off the the agitation from tomorrow till April nine announced earlier, GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri said.
The agitation was to demand creation of Gorkhaland and protest alleged interference by the West Bengal government in the functioning of the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration.
Giri said that GJM called off the agitation accepting appeals made by the President, Union Home and Finance Minister to concentrate on development work for the people of the hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi participates in SCO annual meet in Tashkent
- Pink auto introduced in Ghaziabad specifically for women
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Not in the best of form, Roger Federer reaches crossroads at Wimbledon
- Lodha panel's recommendations could take cricket 20 years back, feels Anurag Thakur
- Future of cinema is internet movies, says Kangana Ranaut
- Campus violence: AMU expels 11 students, suspends 17 others
- Mandy Moore, Ryan Adams officially divorced