GJM calls off agitation in Darjeeling hills
Darjeeling: The Gorkha Jana Mukti Morcha, spearheading the agitation for a separate Gorkhaland on Friday decided to call off the protest scheduled to begin tomorrow in the Darjeeling hills.
It was decided at the GJM`s central committee meeting at Kurseong during the day to call off the the agitation from tomorrow till April nine announced earlier, GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri said.
The agitation was to demand creation of Gorkhaland and protest alleged interference by the West Bengal government in the functioning of the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration.
Giri said that GJM called off the agitation accepting appeals made by the President, Union Home and Finance Minister to concentrate on development work for the people of the hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda