GJM calls off agitation in Darjeeling hills
Darjeeling: The Gorkha Jana Mukti Morcha, spearheading the agitation for a separate Gorkhaland on Friday decided to call off the protest scheduled to begin tomorrow in the Darjeeling hills.
It was decided at the GJM`s central committee meeting at Kurseong during the day to call off the the agitation from tomorrow till April nine announced earlier, GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri said.
The agitation was to demand creation of Gorkhaland and protest alleged interference by the West Bengal government in the functioning of the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration.
Giri said that GJM called off the agitation accepting appeals made by the President, Union Home and Finance Minister to concentrate on development work for the people of the hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say