GJM demands CBI inquiry into police firing
Darjeeling: Gorkha Janamukti Morcha on Wednesday demanded CBI inquiry into the death of two of its
supporters in police firing at Sibchu in Jalpaiguri district.
"We demand CBI inquiry since police despite having
rubber bullets did not use those on GJM demonstrators killing
two on the spot yesterday," GJM general secretary Roshan Giri
told reporters here. He claimed another supporter died this
morning at a hospital.
The demonstrators were holding dharna (sit-in) in a
peaceful manner and the police firing was unprovoked, he
Giri also alleged that the government has withdrawn
the security guards for him and GJM chief Bimal Gurung without
any reason. "The government has withdrawn the bodyguards of
GJM chief Gurung and also mine without showing any reason,
making us vulnerable to criminals," Giri said.
Meanwhile, four injured GJM supporters have been
shifted from Kalimpong to Darjeeling Sadar hospital. Of the
four, condition of two with spinal injuries is serious,
hospital sources said.
A batch of BSF personnel reached Darjeeling town this
afternoon, police said. The jawans will flag march in the hill
town from tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Trump vows to begin deportations immediately if sworn in
- British PM to trigger EU pull-out `without parliament vote`
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio