GJM demands CBI inquiry into police firing
Darjeeling: Gorkha Janamukti Morcha on Wednesday demanded CBI inquiry into the death of two of its
supporters in police firing at Sibchu in Jalpaiguri district.
"We demand CBI inquiry since police despite having
rubber bullets did not use those on GJM demonstrators killing
two on the spot yesterday," GJM general secretary Roshan Giri
told reporters here. He claimed another supporter died this
morning at a hospital.
The demonstrators were holding dharna (sit-in) in a
peaceful manner and the police firing was unprovoked, he
Giri also alleged that the government has withdrawn
the security guards for him and GJM chief Bimal Gurung without
any reason. "The government has withdrawn the bodyguards of
GJM chief Gurung and also mine without showing any reason,
making us vulnerable to criminals," Giri said.
Meanwhile, four injured GJM supporters have been
shifted from Kalimpong to Darjeeling Sadar hospital. Of the
four, condition of two with spinal injuries is serious,
hospital sources said.
A batch of BSF personnel reached Darjeeling town this
afternoon, police said. The jawans will flag march in the hill
town from tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Final phase of Q4 results, progress of monsoon to guide market
- Attention tax evaders: From June 1, declare black money and come clean or else....
- Saqib Saleem all praises for Radhika Apte's 'knockout performance' in 'Phobia'!
- Arjun Rampal captures priceless moments from 'Kahaani 2'! – View pics
- Gene connected to multiple sclerosis discovered, claim scientists!