GJM demands ST status for Darjeeling Gorkhas
New Delhi: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM)
today demanded Schedule Tribes status to all Gorkhas living in
Darjeeling and immediate release of Central funds promised for
the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA).
These demands were placed by the GJM at a tripartite
meeting held here today among the organisation and Central and
West Bengal governments.
"We want that Gorkhas living in Darjeeling should be
given the ST status," GJM general secretary Roshan Giri told
reporters after the meeting.
He said the detailed plan estimates worth Rs 93 crore for
carrying out development works has been submitted to the
Central government and a representation has been given to
release the funds at the earliest.
The money is part of the Rs 200-crore package the Centre
announced for the development of Darjeeling hills and its
A tripartite draft memorandum of agreement on Darjeeling
was signed in July for creation of the new hill council GTA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?