GJM demands ST status for Darjeeling Gorkhas
New Delhi: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM)
today demanded Schedule Tribes status to all Gorkhas living in
Darjeeling and immediate release of Central funds promised for
the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA).
These demands were placed by the GJM at a tripartite
meeting held here today among the organisation and Central and
West Bengal governments.
"We want that Gorkhas living in Darjeeling should be
given the ST status," GJM general secretary Roshan Giri told
reporters after the meeting.
He said the detailed plan estimates worth Rs 93 crore for
carrying out development works has been submitted to the
Central government and a representation has been given to
release the funds at the earliest.
The money is part of the Rs 200-crore package the Centre
announced for the development of Darjeeling hills and its
A tripartite draft memorandum of agreement on Darjeeling
was signed in July for creation of the new hill council GTA.
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017