GJM demands ST status for Darjeeling Gorkhas
New Delhi: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM)
today demanded Schedule Tribes status to all Gorkhas living in
Darjeeling and immediate release of Central funds promised for
the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA).
These demands were placed by the GJM at a tripartite
meeting held here today among the organisation and Central and
West Bengal governments.
"We want that Gorkhas living in Darjeeling should be
given the ST status," GJM general secretary Roshan Giri told
reporters after the meeting.
He said the detailed plan estimates worth Rs 93 crore for
carrying out development works has been submitted to the
Central government and a representation has been given to
release the funds at the earliest.
The money is part of the Rs 200-crore package the Centre
announced for the development of Darjeeling hills and its
A tripartite draft memorandum of agreement on Darjeeling
was signed in July for creation of the new hill council GTA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?