GJM hails Sikkim Assembly resolution on Gorkhaland
Kolkata: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha hailed a
resolution passed in the Sikkim Assembly today favouring
Gorkhaland and urged the Centre to take steps to fulfil the
legitimate demand of the Gorkhas.
``Gorkhaland is the common aspiration of the people of
Darjeeling. We are extremly happy and we thank Sikkim Chief
Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling and the ruling SDF for the
passing of the resolution,`` GJM general secretary Roshan
Giri said to a news agency over phone from Darjeeling.
Giri said the GJM would now like the central government
to look into the demand for Gorkhaland within the framework of
the Indian constitution.
He said GJM was participating in the West Bengal Assembly
election and if elected, its legislators would focus on the
Gorkhaland demand inside the Assembly.
``Sikkim knows our problem better than West Bengal,``
another top GJM leader Harkabahadur Chetri, who is contesting
as a GJM candidate in the Kalimpong Assembly seat, said over
phone from Kalimpong.
Chetri, GJM central committee member, said political
parties in West Bengal should also `take a lesson` from the
Sikkim resolution and made it clear that the proposed interim
set-up for Darjeeling hills was a `closed chapter now`.
The ruling CPI(M) and major opposition parties in West
Bengal are opposed to the creation of a Gorkhaland state
comprising Darjeeling hills and Gorkha-dominated areas in
Terai and Dooars in north Bengal.
The Sikkim Assembly today passed a resolution which
stated that the formation of Gorkhaland is the only solution
to ensure free movement of traffic on NH 31A - the life line
of the land-locked state and vital for peace, security and
development of Sikkim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...