GJM hails Sikkim Assembly resolution on Gorkhaland
Kolkata: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha hailed a
resolution passed in the Sikkim Assembly today favouring
Gorkhaland and urged the Centre to take steps to fulfil the
legitimate demand of the Gorkhas.
``Gorkhaland is the common aspiration of the people of
Darjeeling. We are extremly happy and we thank Sikkim Chief
Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling and the ruling SDF for the
passing of the resolution,`` GJM general secretary Roshan
Giri said to a news agency over phone from Darjeeling.
Giri said the GJM would now like the central government
to look into the demand for Gorkhaland within the framework of
the Indian constitution.
He said GJM was participating in the West Bengal Assembly
election and if elected, its legislators would focus on the
Gorkhaland demand inside the Assembly.
``Sikkim knows our problem better than West Bengal,``
another top GJM leader Harkabahadur Chetri, who is contesting
as a GJM candidate in the Kalimpong Assembly seat, said over
phone from Kalimpong.
Chetri, GJM central committee member, said political
parties in West Bengal should also `take a lesson` from the
Sikkim resolution and made it clear that the proposed interim
set-up for Darjeeling hills was a `closed chapter now`.
The ruling CPI(M) and major opposition parties in West
Bengal are opposed to the creation of a Gorkhaland state
comprising Darjeeling hills and Gorkha-dominated areas in
Terai and Dooars in north Bengal.
The Sikkim Assembly today passed a resolution which
stated that the formation of Gorkhaland is the only solution
to ensure free movement of traffic on NH 31A - the life line
of the land-locked state and vital for peace, security and
development of Sikkim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- CRPF trooper killed in landslide near Vaishno Devi shrine
- Defamation case: Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- PM Narendra Modi assures round the clock assistance to flood-hit Varanasi
- How Ola, Uber allowed to run on tourist permit? HC asks govt
- Shiv Sena taunts PM Narendra Modi over arrest of Baloch leaders