GJM happy with `Gorkhaland` name in council
Kolkata: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha on Friday
expressed happiness that the word `Gorkhaland` was included in
the nomenclature of the new hill council in Darjeeling, but
did not specify whether it would continue with its demand for
a separate state.
"We are happy with the inclusion of `Gorkhaland` in
the name of the new hill council to be known as Gorkhaland
Territorial Administration," GJM general secretary Roshan Giri
said over phone from Darjeeling.
Asked whether the GJM would stick to the demand for a
separate Gorkhaland, Giri evaded a direct reply saying, "We
are happy that the agreement is going to be signed on the
council. This much I can tell you."
Welcoming the proposed signing of the tripartite
agreement to set up the new council, he said "whatever the
disputes there were, have been agreed upon and finalised. We
are now getting ready for the meeting on July 18."
On GJM`s demand for inclusion of the Gorkha dominated
areas of Terai and Dooars in the council, he said a nine-
member committee with four each from GJM and the West Bengal
government and one from the Centre, would be set up to
identify the areas within six months.
GJM chief Bimal Gurung would be one of the members
representing the party in the proposed committee, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves