GJM in touch with NE rebels, procuring arms: WB Minister
Kolkata: A minister in the West Bengal
government on Monday claimed that GJM, agitating for a Gorkhaland
state, was in touch with northeast rebel groups and hinted at
a Maoist hand in the latest Darjeeling flare-up.
Ashok Bhattacharya, also a prominent CPI-M leader,
told reporters that GJM movement leaders were in contact with
extremist groups of the northeast and procuring arms from
Holding the GJM solely responsible for the violence in
the Darjeeling hills `in connivance with the Trinamool
Congress`, Bhattacharya said these parties had been out to put
the blame on the state government for the present unrest in
Calling for a negotiated settlement of the hill
problem, he said he did not rule out a Maoist hand in the
violence in the hills.
"I can`t rule out Maoist hand in Darjeeling hills," he
said, adding that reports reaching him indicated that the
Maoists had been holding out threats to the local people.
Bhattacharya said that ever since the brutal killing
of AIGL leader Madan Tamang some months back, unrest, chaos,
lawlessness and panic obtained in the hills.
After its participation in the Delhi tripartite
meeting on January 25, the GJM had indulged in violence in
Darjeeling knowing it well that their separate statehood
demand will not be met by the state government," he observed.
Bhattacharya alleged that the food items entering
Darjeeling hills were being consumed by GJM leaders while
common people suffered due to the indefinite general strike.
The CPI-M leader observed that the present situation
in the hills was not conducive for holding Assembly elections
`and not even election campaigns`.
"The situation in Darjeeling hills is worse than that
of Khejuri and Nandigram in East Midnapore district," he said.
Demanding more central forces for Darjeeling, he said
that the Election Commission had to take proper steps for
holding polls in the hills.
"I would suggest that the EC hold meetings with
political parties in Siliguri in this regard," he said, adding
that the CPI-M had convened a `Nagarik sammelan` (Citizens
convention) in Siliguri on February 18 to discuss the
Claiming that GJM workers had destroyed 62 government
properties in the last few days, the minister said that the
probe into the Madan Tamang killing and the disappearance of
the main accused Nicole Tamang would unravel more startling
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA