GJM launches fund collection drive in tea gardens
Darjeeling: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha`s trade union has started a fund collection drive amounting to a day`s wage from tea garden workers across the Darjeeling hills for the Gorkhaland agitation.
The drive, launched yesterday, is estimated to raise around Rs 60 lakh, GJM sources said.
The hills have 87 tea gardens and they together employ 65,000 workers, most of whom are members of the Morcha-affiliated Darjeeling Terai Dooars Plantation Labour Union. The daily wage of a worker is Rs 90.
Bimal Gurung, the president of the Morcha, was today handed over 1,400kg of rice and Rs 50,000 collected by the outfit`s Darjeeling Sadar-1 constituency unit.
Addressing the function, Gurung said, "We are grateful to everyone as our people are voluntarily contributing both in cash and kind. I have been told that tea garden workers will also be donating a day`s wage and that our trade union has already passed a resolution to help in the collection."
Suraj Subba, the general secretary of the Darjeeling Terai Dooars Plantation Labour Union, said the workers were voluntarily contributing wages.
"Workers are voluntarily coming and donating their wages to our local units. There is no call for a fund collection. Our union is just co-ordinating the collection," he said.
This is the first time that the Morcha is collecting funds from the people. The GNLF in 1986 had collected similar funds from people during its Gorkhaland agitation days.
Sources said apart from the Darjeeling Sadar-I unit of the Morcha, other constituents were also expected to collect funds and rice from the common people. Students are also collecting donations for the statehood agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad