GJM leader among three held in Darjeeling
Siliguri: Three Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) activists, including central committee member Bimal Dorjee, were arrested from West Bengal`s Darjeeling district in pursuance of pending warrants against them, police said Friday.
Darjeeling Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Kumar Chaturvedi said the three were arrested Thursday night.
"Following orders by the Election Commission, we have launched a drive to execute pending warrants. The arrests have been made in pursuance to that," said Chaturvedi, adding that nearly 1,000 warrants are pending to be executed in the district alone.
The arrests come in the wake of the GJM entering into an alliance with the Bharatiya Janata Party.
In a snub to the Trinamool Congress, the GJM has refused to support soccer star Bhaichung Bhutia fielded by the ruling party from Darjeeling.
Around 1,000 GJM activists, including a few of their top leaders, were arrested last year during a crackdown by the Trinamool Congress government on the hill outfit after it intensified its demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed