GJM leader among three held in Darjeeling
Siliguri: Three Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) activists, including central committee member Bimal Dorjee, were arrested from West Bengal`s Darjeeling district in pursuance of pending warrants against them, police said Friday.
Darjeeling Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Kumar Chaturvedi said the three were arrested Thursday night.
"Following orders by the Election Commission, we have launched a drive to execute pending warrants. The arrests have been made in pursuance to that," said Chaturvedi, adding that nearly 1,000 warrants are pending to be executed in the district alone.
The arrests come in the wake of the GJM entering into an alliance with the Bharatiya Janata Party.
In a snub to the Trinamool Congress, the GJM has refused to support soccer star Bhaichung Bhutia fielded by the ruling party from Darjeeling.
Around 1,000 GJM activists, including a few of their top leaders, were arrested last year during a crackdown by the Trinamool Congress government on the hill outfit after it intensified its demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog