GJM leader among three held in Darjeeling
Siliguri: Three Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) activists, including central committee member Bimal Dorjee, were arrested from West Bengal`s Darjeeling district in pursuance of pending warrants against them, police said Friday.
Darjeeling Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Kumar Chaturvedi said the three were arrested Thursday night.
"Following orders by the Election Commission, we have launched a drive to execute pending warrants. The arrests have been made in pursuance to that," said Chaturvedi, adding that nearly 1,000 warrants are pending to be executed in the district alone.
The arrests come in the wake of the GJM entering into an alliance with the Bharatiya Janata Party.
In a snub to the Trinamool Congress, the GJM has refused to support soccer star Bhaichung Bhutia fielded by the ruling party from Darjeeling.
Around 1,000 GJM activists, including a few of their top leaders, were arrested last year during a crackdown by the Trinamool Congress government on the hill outfit after it intensified its demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees