GJM leader among three held in Darjeeling
Siliguri: Three Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) activists, including central committee member Bimal Dorjee, were arrested from West Bengal`s Darjeeling district in pursuance of pending warrants against them, police said Friday.
Darjeeling Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Kumar Chaturvedi said the three were arrested Thursday night.
"Following orders by the Election Commission, we have launched a drive to execute pending warrants. The arrests have been made in pursuance to that," said Chaturvedi, adding that nearly 1,000 warrants are pending to be executed in the district alone.
The arrests come in the wake of the GJM entering into an alliance with the Bharatiya Janata Party.
In a snub to the Trinamool Congress, the GJM has refused to support soccer star Bhaichung Bhutia fielded by the ruling party from Darjeeling.
Around 1,000 GJM activists, including a few of their top leaders, were arrested last year during a crackdown by the Trinamool Congress government on the hill outfit after it intensified its demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Missing Japanese journalist's photo posted online
- Haryana Govt. to file application over Jat reservation issue today
- Liquor mafia attacks police, media personnel in Madhya Pradesh; 2 held
- 'Dishoom' poster OUT! Varun Dhawan, John Abraham look uber classy
- Starving Iraqis risk all to flee Islamic State`s crumbling rule