GJM makes clean sweep in GTA poll
Darjeeling: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha made a clean sweep of all 45 seats in the newly-formed Gorkhaland Territorial Administration.
Twenty-eight seats were won uncontested by the GJM after the two major political forces - the Trinamool Congress and the CPI-M - withdrew from the contest.
Voting took place on July 29 for the remaining 17 seats and counting was taken up Thursday.
The swearing-in of the newly elected members will take place on August 4.
Newly-appointed Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde is likely to attend the swearing-in. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had sent an invitation in this regard to him yesterday.
Expressing happiness at the result, GJM leader Harka Bahadur Chetri said, "We knew we will win. The outcome also proved that there was no other party except us in the hills".
"The election result also proved that those who gave statements against us did not do anything for the people. We have to perform the job of Opposition. We have to analyse our own work."
He said that education and health would be their immediate priority.
"We have to set up new schools and appoint teachers. The condition of health infrastructure in the hills was very bad. We have to improve it," he said.
He said roads have to be developed and new spots have to be found to attract tourists in the hills.
"We had discussion with the chief minister in this regard. We need help and full cooperation of the state government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video