GJM makes clean sweep in GTA poll
Darjeeling: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha made a clean sweep of all 45 seats in the newly-formed Gorkhaland Territorial Administration.
Twenty-eight seats were won uncontested by the GJM after the two major political forces - the Trinamool Congress and the CPI-M - withdrew from the contest.
Voting took place on July 29 for the remaining 17 seats and counting was taken up Thursday.
The swearing-in of the newly elected members will take place on August 4.
Newly-appointed Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde is likely to attend the swearing-in. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had sent an invitation in this regard to him yesterday.
Expressing happiness at the result, GJM leader Harka Bahadur Chetri said, "We knew we will win. The outcome also proved that there was no other party except us in the hills".
"The election result also proved that those who gave statements against us did not do anything for the people. We have to perform the job of Opposition. We have to analyse our own work."
He said that education and health would be their immediate priority.
"We have to set up new schools and appoint teachers. The condition of health infrastructure in the hills was very bad. We have to improve it," he said.
He said roads have to be developed and new spots have to be found to attract tourists in the hills.
"We had discussion with the chief minister in this regard. We need help and full cooperation of the state government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply