GJM MLA`s meeting with TMC leadership fans speculation
Kolkata: Gorkha Janmukti Morcha MLA Harka Bahadur Chettri met Trinamool Congress leadership here, ahead of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s first party convention in Darjeeling on October 24, leading to speculations about his future course of action.
Chettri, an MLA from Kalimpong constituency and a senior leader of the GJM which is spearheading the Gorkhaland statehood demand, met Trinamool Congress` All India general secretary Mukul Roy last night.
A source close to Chettri confirmed the meeting, but refused to divulge details.
However, secretary general of GJM Roshan Giri said the party had not sent Chettri to the state capital and he didn`t think that the party MLA had met TMC leadership.
"I don`t think he met the Trinamool leadership. He is an MLA and may have gone to Kolkata on some work," Giri told PTI over phone from Darjeeling.
Asked about Chettri meeting Roy, Giri retorted, "what is wrong if he has met him".
Chettri, is a highly regarded leader in the Hills and part of Bimal Gurung-led GJM`s think tank.
The GJM has three MLAs from the three Hill constituencies in the West Bengal Assembly.
The meeting comes ahead of the Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee`s political convention in Darjeeling on October 24, when a sizeable number of people from the Hills are likely to join the ruling party.
The Trinamool Congress is steadily making its presence felt in the political scenario of the Hills, where it intends to tackle GJM politically apart from administrative measures.
The GJM, under pressure after the West Bengal government`s crackdown on its agitation in demand of a separate Gorkhaland and a lukewarm response from the Centre, has already softened its stance and decided that its legislators would meet Banerjee during her visit to the Hills.
The agenda of the meeting would be the large-scale arrests of members of the GJM and Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA), according to sources.
Altogether 1,300 people, including 13 members of GTA and some traders and businessmen allegedly funding the agitation, have been arrested so far in the Hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now